Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We HEART Cali!

Our little family enjoyed a vacation to Southern California this past week! We took off Wednesday morning in a snowstorm and couldn’t take off until our airplane’s wings were de-iced! When we landed in Long Beach, the sweaters came off and we were in 77-degree weather! (Why did we ever leave Cali?!?!) Our friends own a pizza parlor in Long Beach, Banducci’s Pizza. We stopped in for a yummy lunch with Joy & Morgan and met their little baby girl, Royal Margaret. Such a cutie!

Then we went to the Santa Monica Pier. We were hoping to go on rides, but everything was closed! So we played video games in the arcade until the quarters ran out. We drove up the coast to Malibu where we stayed at Pepperdine University. While Aaron was judging the AGC Cup, Ashton and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful campus. We went swimming in their pool, and joined a bunch of students in the hot tub. When they found out we were from Utah, one guy crossed the hot tub to sit by me. He asked if I was Mormon, and was ecstatic that I am. I thought, “Here comes another Prop 8 discussion!” But instead it turns out that he had investigated the church a couple years ago when he was “looking for religion”. He and his dad were drunks at the time, and one day his dad committed suicide. It was a big wake up call for him. He ended up joining the Catholic Church but hasn’t felt right about it ever since. He said, “How do I find the Mormons again? How do I learn more about your church?” There is no question I love to hear more than that one! He was very sincere and asked a lot of great questions. I wish my new friend luck! After swimming, Ashton and I wandered the campus until we found the cafeteria for dinner. The students are so nice and happy. (I would be too if I went to school there!) That night Aaron, Ashton and I shared a queen size bed. At about 2:30am I woke up with a massive migraine – so I drove around Malibu until I found a gas station with drugs! I drove back to the hotel loaded with Advil and Nyquil. I curled up at the bottom of the bed (since Ashton’s little body had taken over the rest of the bed) and slept like a baby!

The next morning we ate breakfast at a place called Coogies. It was DELISH! It was a perfect way to start my 30th Birthday! We drove straight to Disneyland where I was given a giant badge letting everyone know that it was my birthday. Disneyland also gave me a gift card for $69 to spend at the park. (I spent it on a Darth Mahl light saber, and star wars toys! You’re welcome Ashton!) Disneyland has “Jedi Training” where Jedi’s pick kids from the crowd and train them how to fight Darth Vader and Darth Mahl. Ashton has talked about going to “Jedi Training” for a month. But when we got there, he chickened out. He said, “Maybe when I’m six or five!” It didn’t help that Darth Mahl came out and stared Ashton down. SCARY! Another highlight was when we were waiting for the big train to take us around the park. When we got up to catch the train, Aaron and I turned around to witness Ashton “watering the bushes” while the 100 people waiting for Auto Topia watched. SO PROUD! We stayed until the park closed, ate dinner at Ruby’s in Irvine, and went to stay with our good friends, the McKeowns.

Friday morning, Ashton was so happy to play with his best friend Coby while Aaron and I slept a little longer!J It was probably around 80 degrees so we headed to the pool. It was so warm outside that you just HAD to cool off in the water. I loved every minute soaking up the sun. Ashton swam with his friends Coby and Elise while the mom’s talked and Aaron lay out. That evening we headed back for round two at Disneyland. We went on the new ride at California Adventure, Toy Story. It is darling! Ashton showed Coby his favorite ride, Star Tours. (The obsession with Star Wars is stronger than ever!) We stayed again until the park closed. Ashton fell asleep in the stroller on the way to the car!

Saturday we met up with friends at Newport Beach. The McKeowns, both Evans families, and the Wellings were all with us. Just like the good old days! It was a perfect beach day! No wind, nice and warm, but not too warm that you had to get into the freezing cold ocean to cool off. The kids played in the water while the moms veged! It was awesome! I love my California friends and am so glad they made room for us in their agendas! That night everyone went to dinner together. We had yummy sushi. Aaron and I stuffed the Wellings and the Evans in our car and took off to Huntington Beach. We ate some Hula Pie at Duke’s. Hula pie is white chocolate ice cream inside an Oreo crust, topped with hot fudge and macadamia nuts! MMM. We had so much fun and laughed our guts out! Thanks for being such good sports guys and staying up late with us!

We loved seeing all our friends at church! The ward is rumored to split soon, so we’re really glad we got to attend before the split happened. Robin invited us over for dessert after church. She fed us yummy chocolate cake and fresh fruit. THANKS ROBIN – it more than satisfied my sweet tooth!

We were sad it was time to leave! This trip went too fast! We’ll be back this summer for more fun in the sun! A HUGE thank you to the McKeowns for letting us stay in their mansion! J And thanks to all our friends for making this trip so memorable – it wouldn’t be the same without you guys! XOXO

1 comment:

Aaron and Lindsay said...

Good thing you came last weekend. The weather is horrible right now. Raining and cold! It was so fun to see you, and actually do something fun! Thanks for that.