Our family had such a fun weekend up in Burley Idaho! Aaron, his brother Nate, and friends Clint and Spencer Mackay have all been looking forward to the Spudman Triathlon for several months.
Aaron has spend a few nights each week swimming, running and getting used to the feel of a road bike. He lost 15 pounds just training for this event.
The night before the event the Spudman hosts a carbfest dinner. Potatoes, Spaghetti, Rolls, and green beans. Good thing I carb-loaded as well - I was going to need my energy for all the cheering I was going to do!
The next morning we all woke up at 6:00- kids and all. The conditions were perfect for a triathlon - nice and cool, with a little breeze. It was something to see the river fill with men and women in wet suits, each sporting a bright orange swim cap!
Aaron was feeling great during the 1.5 mile swim until an unexpected wave of water went over his head as he was coming up for a breath of air. Luckily he was close to the shore and floated to the side and threw up all the water. When he caught his breath he was able to finish the remaining 50 feet.
During the 26 mile bike ride when he felt he should be about half way he asked a lady how far they had rode. She told him 22 miles. He was like, "Man, I'm rockin' this!" So he started pushing it hard. When he had gone what he felt for sure had to be at least four miles, he pulled up to a group of men and asked how far they had gone - 17 miles. Wow - that lady was WAY off! So he had to psych himself up for another 9 miles! We got to cheer him on in between his transition between the bike and run. Ashton ran with him for the first 50 feet of the run and Aaron loved that!
The run was 6 miles and the first leg is all uphill. He said he felt pretty good until mile 4. Mile 4 through 6 was pretty gnarly. His lungs felt great, but his legs were burning. The last stretch of the run is a dirt trail through the trees and you don't even know you're close to the finish line until you go around a bend and there is a clearing with people cheering for you on both sides and a huge tower that says finish. He said it was a pretty cool way to end the race.
We are so proud of him! He finished in 2 hours and 46 minutes. His goal was to beat 3 hours. He was pretty pumped. I can see how triathlons would be addicting - there is so much energy there and it is something to test the limits of your body. I'm not saying I'm jumping on the bandwagon soon, but Aaron said the next time he does that event he wants me by his side. So I guess I need to learn to run, swim and my biggest fear - road biking.
Good job lover! XOXOXOX
4 comments:
Good job Aaron! I love the speedo on the poster. What a good wife you are Colleen!
Way to go Aaron! Not fair pretty sure if I trained for that I would gain weight... Sounds like it was a blast!!
Nice job Aaron! Colleen I can't wait for you to join us on the rides and running we do! :}
Impressive! Great job!
Post a Comment