
I can attribute my love for tan skin to a boy named Justin Cottle. Back in 8th grade, I had a crush on a boy who had olive skin, dark eyes, and dark hair (the complete opposite of me . . ) When he found out I liked him, he said, "Colleen would be hot if she were tan!" This began years of tanning, and laying out in the sun with baby oil (which I know I have done with most of you who are reading this blog). Living in Cali for almost five years and constantly being at the beach or in the pool hasn't helped my situation either.
SO Ashton got this freckle on his arm back in September that has grown and grown into this black mole. I found a great dermatologist to check out his arm, and at the same time felt strongly that I should have a skin cancer screening. So a couple weeks ago we went to the dermatologist and he took this thing off Ashton's arm and sent it to the lab. Then he sat me on this table and checked me over head to toe. He circled this red spot on my back, cut it out, and sent that to the lab as well. They told me that in 10 days I would either receive a postcard if both results were good, or a phone call if the results were bad. So you can imagine how my heart raced when their number showed up on my caller ID three days later.
My first concern was of course Ashton. It's rare that kids get skin cancer, but have you seen MY kid? I was relieved when they told me his results were fine. My results however could have been better. It is pre-cancerous. I have to go back in tomorrow and have a minor surgery removing a patch of skin surrounding this red spot and get stitched back together. They make sure it won't spread. If this had gone undetected IT WOULD HAVE TURNED INTO SKIN CANCER.
I immediately felt grateful that Ashton had this crazy thing grow on his arm. I never would have gone to the dermatologist if it hadn't been for him. I feel so blessed that they didn't tell me I have cancer. My next thought was that I really need to encourage everyone I know to go get a screening. Hello? We're all getting older and this is something we need to think about now.
Your insurance pays for skin cancer screenings. And if you need a great dermatologist, call me!
Oh, and if you know of a great "tan in a bottle" that doesn't stink let me know! :)
9 comments:
I'm glad that everything is o.k. I need to go, but am grateful your Dr. said that thing on "our legs" is nothing. We need to get together! What are you doing Friday?
How scary, I am so happy that all is well with both of you. Thanks for the reminder to get checked & yes I do need a good derm. so let me know.
Hi, you probably don't remember me, I am Kelly's cousin. I just happen to look at your blog today (from her contact list, I always thought you guys were so cool.) Anyway, try xen-tan. It smells a little like chocolate when you first put it on, but doesnt' stink throughtout the day. There is more info on my blog themellorconnection.blogspot.com. I hope it is okay that I left a comment.
Colleen...I just wanted to see how the surgery went and say THANKS for everything! It was so fun seeing you guys and we miss you already.
SO glad that you are okay!! Great reminder.
So did you hit the tanning bed after the doc to make yourself feel better? :) Where have you been lately? We need to do another girls night soon!
Colleen, First off HI!! And I'm sorry for being a bad friend for never calling or emailing or anything. Kelly got me on this blogging thing and I love it. I'd love to add you add a friend if you'll let me! Next,I'm am so glad that you and Ashton are fine. I don't remember if I ever told you back in college that my cousin had cancer at a young age (21) and it developed so fast that he ended up passing away from it. Well, I didn't know at the time but it was from skin cancer. I am really glad that you went in and got checked, because you're right... you never know. I am so glad you posted this. It is a great reminder!!
Colleen, I'm so glad that it wasn't anything serious for either of you. I sure hope that Justin Cottle reads this and feels really bad that he said that to you so long ago :) I've found that the Jergens lotion doesn't smell as bad as the other tanning stuff, but it doesn't give you instant tan or anything. Good luck with your quest on a non-smelly tanning lotion and let me know if you ever find one.
Where are you? Call me!
Post a Comment